Pages

Tomato Experiment 2016

My daughter Laurissa asked for advice on planting tomatoes for her community garden so I did some research.  My bother Tony has a balcony where this may also work.


I'm going to try it myself because it looks easier than digging up the ground and it
has a way to keep the soil moist for a while.  You can also move the bucket around if
you have to.  
The drawback is controlling the height of an indeterminate tomato plant which can spread over 6 feet.  It makes more tomatoes spread out over a longer time than the bush determinant variety which make all their tomatoes during a shorter time period.  But the bush type can stay under 4 feet.  
I guess you can cut the indeterminate variety to keep it short but I'm not sure if it will hurt the plant. 

I found a link to a site with directions for planting tomatoes in a 5 gallon bucket.
Here's the link with 2 videos and a list of materials needed:


Make sure the plastic is rated HDPE which is safer for using with foods.

From the website:


Here's another video on how to use aspirin to prevent tomato diseases.  I'm not sure if it works but I'll give it a try:



4 comments:

  1. thanks for this post. I am looking forward to growing some tomatoes in pots on my new shaded area. The direct sun is to much for them. I'm going to try this. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing. I may give this a try. It should keep the rabbits away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting way to go a tomato. If you don't try, you don't find out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.