Skip to main content

Gas Pump Keeps Clicking Off


For a long time I've been having trouble pumping gas in both my cars, Chrysler Concord 2001 and  Toyota Camry 2003.  At first I thought it was the gas stations' fault.  It gradually became worse. I finally tried asking my mechanic. He suggested that it may be a problem with the vent by the gas tank being clogged.  By forcing air through a hose it may become unclogged.  It's not expensive except if a part needs to be replaced.

Here's a better explanation:

"There's a problem with the Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery system.
As you fill the gas tank, the gas vapors are supposed to be forced thru the carbon canister in the EVAP system before the gas tank is allowed to vent back into the atmosphere. If there's restriction in the ORVR system the gas tank can't vent and this causes the pump to shut off.
Have someone check all the hoses in the EVAP system for a restriction.
Did you know spider egg sacs can cause this problem?
Tester"

Link:


Here's a video. It's a bit silly but explains it well.


I'll have to wait until I need gas again to make sure it worked for each car.  Now both cars seem to have a smoother ride. 


Comments

  1. I never knew that could happen

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that happened with my old Hyundai and it was a ball of confusion at the mechanic with this term and that term and I said just fix it and he did and it worked, whatever he did lol...it's happening with my Dodge Journey now, but only at the local gas station. So I'm blaming them! Good useful info John. I'm going to bookmark this in my "auto" folder just in case I need to refer back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good information and the video was clear, helpful AND funny, which gets a high score in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting information and a somewhat simple fix, hopefully both of your vehicles are good as new now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. from Japan . Thank Thank you as always nice newsletter.
    Ryoma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting.
    Sometimes that happens to us but not often, we say it's air in the hose/pump/tank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whadya know. Sometimes the fix is something you would never think of but is so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea this could even happen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. an unfaced situation to me but i can imagine that how hard it could be when you have to rush somewhere

    this is nice that you got solution John!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for such interesting and informative video

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends