Skip to main content

Roman Dodecahedron

This would make a great desk ornament; not an original which costs way too much, but a good replica.  No one is sure what it was used for.  That makes it even more interesting.

Here's what i learned about it from Wikipedia: 

Roman dodecahedron

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Roman dodecahedron or Gallo-Roman Dodecahedron[1][2] is a small hollow object made of copper alloy which has been cast into a dodecahedral shape: twelve flat pentagonal faces, each face having a circular hole of varying diameter in the middle, the holes connecting to the hollow center.[1] Roman dodecahedra date from the 2nd to 4th centuries AD.[1]
Since the first dodecahedron was found in 1739, at least 116 similar objects have been found[1] from Wales to Hungary and Spain and to the east of Italy, with most found in Germany and France. Ranging from 4 to 11 centimetres (1.6 to 4.3 in) in size. 
No mention of them has been found in contemporary accounts or pictures of the time. Speculated uses include as a candlestick holder (wax was found inside two examples); dice; survey instruments for estimating distances to (or sizes of) distant objects;[4] devices for determining the optimal sowing date for winter grain;[5] gauges to calibrate water pipes or army standard bases. Use as a measuring instrument of any kind seems improbable since the dodecahedra were not standardised and come in many sizes and arrangements of their openings. It has also been suggested that they may have been religious artifacts, or even fortune-telling devices. This latter speculation is based on the fact that most of the examples have been found in Gallo-Roman sites.[6][7] Several dodecahedra were found in coin hoards, providing evidence that their owners considered them valuable objects.[8] These artifacts have mainly been found in cold-climate areas of Roman habitation; leading some to speculate they may have been used as a knitting framework (cf. knitting Nancy). It has been suggested that the varying size of the openings might possibly correlate with the variety in finger sizes.
Isn't this very strange?  Here's a map of where they've been found:



What I'd like to do is buy a replica to use on my desk. It's small enough to easily fit and looks very odd, a sure conversation piece. I'll have to find a good quality reasonably priced one.  I've seen 3D printed plastic replicas that look good but seem overpriced.

Today I'm giving myself my weekly SCIG injection. I'm having trouble with two of the four injection sites. They have blood in the tubes which means they are in small veins instead of being subcutaneous. I pulled out the needles and reinserted them. One turned clear so it must be okay. The other still has a small bit of blood. Maybe I should disconnect it, but I'll leave it in for now. The entire procedure takes about four hours. I'm going to have some lunch now.



Comments

  1. What a mystery! I vote for the candle holder theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that or a device to measure spaghetti, just joking.

      Delete
  2. Gosh you have being injecting yourself for a while now - hope that all goes well and it certainly is a long time 4 hours - good luck.
    That is amazing that object was interesting to read about and I hope you can get a nice one as I can imagine one being on a desk or table.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that object looks like the corona virus... (is it just me?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, It sure does!
      Could it have predicted the future?

      Delete
  4. I'm actually seeing a face on this. Is it just me? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see it before but now that you mention it, I see it too!

      Delete
  5. This is fascinating. I hadn't heard of such an object, and couldn't have guessed what it might be for. Amazing what older cultures could achieve, isn't it?

    I hope you and your wife and family are feeling well, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are all doing well jenny. This was the first time I've ever heard of it.

      Delete
  6. at very first sight i realized i have see this one on some face in some movie or historical show John
    thank you for unique interesting sharing ,early human history must have so many ways and
    things that remain mysterious to people of modern age indeed

    oh this sounds long and tiring process ,i hope all goes well and you go through it smoothly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you baili. I also hope you and your family are doing fine.

      Delete
  7. I saw a face on it too!

    Hope the SCIG injection went well in the end!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends