Skip to main content

Trying Not To Be Overly Organized

I posted about getting organized before so maybe I'm just being obsessive and compulsive.  It's a little different now.

Getting organized requires some time but time spent organizing is time spent not enjoying the present moment.  Why do I want to be organized?

To have some control of my life but I believe that it's possible to control only about 30% of life. The rest depends on genetics, accidents, my decisions from the past, other people's action, etc. There will always be some anxiety if I dwell on it.  But I want to feel secure against complete disorder and confusion. If I'm not prepared something harmful may happen to me. 

I don't want to miss out on something because I don't know what's happening. There is a need to ease my fear of not making the most of my life, of being disappointed.

I want to avoid complications and confusion but too much organizing will actually result in more complication and confusion instead of less.  Yet in a strange way I find it enjoyable to plan!

Why am I being so obsessive about this?
Is this something good or is it too much?





I believe the most important thing is to find a way that works for you.  You can use all or parts of different systems but don't spend all your time learning different to-do applications, make your own.

Here's what I do:

Google Calendar: I use Google Calendar to keep track of monthly and longer items like appointments, birthdays, etc.  The nice thing is that you can set up the calendar to send you an email when the date is coming near.  I print each month so I can have a paper copy just like a regular calendar.


Link: calendar google - Google Search

Next I make my own weekly schedule from a spreadsheet program.  It has my regular recurring tasks to check off with room for appointments, etc. It's like a paper pad to do list for the week.


It's flexible enough to adjust as you like.
The times are approximate.
I'm not obsessive enough to put down when I should brush my teeth, get dressed...
Don't forget to schedule time to do nothing but relax and enjoy.

I find a lined paper pad with what I want to do with the blocks of unassigned time works best for me.  I check off and draw a line though the items I've completed.

 
For the things I want to do but am not sure when I use Wunderlist. I use it in my own way as just a list, something like a paper pad. I don't use the due "today", "week", and other functions.
There's room for notes and sub-tasks, which break down larger goals into sections.  I guess I could use a paper notepad for this but for now I use Wunderlist.  Maybe because it looks so good.
It has what will soon be put into a specific time slot.  It can also be another reminder, along with the calendar, of what is coming up at a specific time.

It is very important not to pile up a long list of things because they will never be done.  They will only make you confused.  The point is not what you want to do without a specific time but to put down the time you'll do it.  This avoids a growing list of never to be done tasks.  Ask yourself WHEN you will do it.


This may not be the best system but for me it seems to work.  For now I'll use it this way.  I might change to something else someday if I like.


Comments

  1. I like to be organized too. It does help me feel in control of (or "on top of") things going on in my life. I think that's a good thing. I find, however, if I get too much into list-making or planning that I get resentful of all the things on my "to do" list. That's why I don't write them down anymore. I just keep the list in my head where I don't have to look at it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some organization is a good thing. Just prepare yourself for interruptions that may alter your plans . A little flexibility is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like being organized but not to an obsessive level. Because I'm a minimalist who tries to keep only what is necessary, and because I'm constantly getting rid of stuff, it's somewhat easy to keep up with things while still having lots of free time to enjoy life! In the end, we all do what works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you, we are all different.
    Liking to be a bit organized myself, then I know what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone organizes in their own way. I am organized with certain things and not with others. I think everyone just needs to find what works for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if it works for you, keep on doing it!

    I need a much simpler system. I print a month-a-page calendar from the computer (because it's free and because I'm going to write all over it). I print about eight months at a time and staple them together. All my appointments go on there. Daily jobs go on a simple list on a piece of scrap paper. Then I toss it in the compost when the day is done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree that over organizing to avoid complications create more complications .

    Unconsciously or consciously i don't know at all but i live in a day that i get i never believed that tomorrow is DEFINITELY there it is illusion and i don't know how it is working for me AMAZINGLY correct and never faced any problem until now

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all approach our lives differently, and I always say, if it works for you do it!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends