Skip to main content

Started Self-Administration of Subcutaneous Immune Globulin This Week

I usually go to the hospital for a four hour IV of Immune Globulin every six weeks to treat my neuromuscular disorder, CIDP (Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy). Now I"ll try injecting myself once a week subcutaneously for about two and a half hours, which should be safer than an IV. Instead of a large needle in a vein I'll have four tiny insulin sized needles in a fatty area of the skin.  
I'll be able to walk around while wearing the needles and pump. It will also level out the doses. I pasted some information below. 

CIDP is:








Mine affects both my lower legs and causes me to have many falls and makes it difficult to walk, especially without my leg braces. Right now I'm using a wheelchair and working my way up to a walker.

The medication is called Hizentra:




Mine is with four needles and it will take a few times for a nurse to show me before I'm comfortable with doing it myself. 


Comments

  1. Good luck with that, John. I hope it does the job for you. Do I understand that you'll be doing it at home? If so, that will be more comfortable than going to the hospital, on top of the other benefits you mentioned.

    I'll be mentioning this to my cousin who has CIDP; she has weekly IV treatments so she may not be a candidate but it never hurts to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it could work for her. I'm just starting mine so I'm not sure yet.

      Delete
  2. You are so much braver than I am. Needles or anything else puncturing skin is something I can't deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it a try. Hopefully it will be easier than an IV.

      Delete
  3. I hope it works well for you! Being at home is always more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you are a very good DIY kind of guy! As Martha says above , I also hope this will work well for you. When I typed DIY it changed it to FIT! So remember you are a FIT guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear John missed reading you!

    i think it is so brave of you my friend and i am sure it will be easier than taking it from nurse

    i saw hubby doing this for two years while he was on treatment of hepatitis and believe me it was not as esy as you see in the video

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this with us John, I hope it works well for you.
    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’re going through a lot of pain. It’s obvious. How you can remember the name amazes me. The hard work you go through is something I take my hat off for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends