Skip to main content

Is This Negative Thinking?


Never mind being half full or empty. 
Maybe it's the wrong glass to start with.

Remember the best seller from decades ago The Power of Positive Thinking?  I came across this video of some philosophical ideas that seem to go the other way, like "The Power of Negative Thinking".

I have a relative who always complains about how bad the world is.  After a short while with him my mood begins to drop. That's why I try to limit my time with him. He looks at you as if you are crazy if you try to say anything positive about life. Sometimes I can make him change for a few seconds before he returns to his old self.

I made my daughter laugh when I told her that he belongs to a society of negative thinkers. I raise my eyebrows to give her a sign about what is coming next when we get together and he begins his negative discussions.

Anyway, this video seems to go for what is a negative view of life. What do you think?


(Click on image to start the video.)



Comments

  1. I know people like that. They suck the soul right out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm ... I thought the video presented realistic philosophies. But then, I'm not fond of chirpy "uplifting" quotations. I like a good dose of realism! I think it's healthy to recognize imperfections in ourselves, others, and institutions around us. Just my opinion, though, and it may depend on one's mood when setting out to watch the video. I'm generally upbeat, even with all that darn realism - ha - so I was starting out from a positive place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be grateful for what I have by writing down on an index card 3 things to be grateful for each day. When the card is blank for a day or so, I know i'm in a slump. You can't be upbeat all the time.

      Delete
  3. I've often said, "if the glass is half empty get a smaller glass." I enjoyed the video. We should not expect perfection and normal is just a setting on the dryer (I got that one from pinterest).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expecting perfection all the time will lead to disappointments. I like the "Normal is just a setting on the dryer".

      Delete
  4. People who do that are emotional vampires. They suck all the good emotions from you. You are wise to limit your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so happy to hear that you turn him into you for while at least dear John :)

    how blessed you are to think positive
    i think if the glass looks empty it is still not empty ,it has air which is not visible just like hope which can not be seen but can risen in our hearts to do good
    because all is good if we think good
    i liked the video so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always do my best to keep positive.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see this as very limited thinking. The Philosophers he mentioned were all in times of declining civilizations or oppressive feudal systems. The man a Brit in a country that has been in a decline for many years. Like any philosophical argument, that which supports my opinions is included in my argument and that which contradicts it, is dismissed. Like is full of opposites. It is our responsibility to pick the outlook on life we wish. The world will continue as it has for centuries. All we have is our inner or mental and emotional world that we can control unless enough of like mind create something a bit more positive.

    Unfortunately, the American empire is in a decline period now and these times are never so nice to be in. What the future holds, that depends on us and what we create for the future of our nations or communities.

    Take care and keep the faith,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends