Skip to main content

I've Decided to Try Hand Controls on My Car

 

(from Amazon)

A few days ago an old friend called me. It was a great and pleasant surprise. We've sent Christmas cards to each other but nothing else.  This has been going on for about 30 years now! He invited me to come up to visit him. Maybe we can be better in touch now. 

The problem is that I can't drive the three hours to get there. It's not safe. My neurological condition is worse. Instead of CIDP I have involvement of the axon not just the nerve myelin cover of the nerves in my lower legs.

 I can't control my feet very well while driving. Sometimes moving my foot from the gas to the break pedal is difficult. It doesn't always happen but I can't predict it. Most recently I had to put the car in Park to stop it.  Luckily I was going very slowly.

I don't want to hurt anyone or myself so I have not been driving. Asking someone to take me places is difficult. Using Uber or Lyft taxi service is very expensive.  Doctor visits, going to the pharmacy, getting a haircut are frustratingly difficult tasks.

If using the hand control works I'll have a lot of my freedom back.


Comments

  1. Good luck with the hand controls! I hope they do the trick and give you your independence back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I do hope the hand controls work for you! The very best of luck with it. I do wonder they can give you some names of folks who have had experience with hand controls and could perhaps give advice and support. People helping people is what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you can use the hand controls alright so you can get about more and visit your friend.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea to help with a difficult situation. I hope it goes smoothly. Having to ask for drives is demoralizing and on top of having a chronic illness it's just an added burden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure everything will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. everything at first seems difficult ,i think you will take control on handle in few days or a week with regular effort :)

    best wishes !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the hand controls :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends