Skip to main content

Variations of the To Do List

Sometimes I try too hard to be organized.  I enjoy making lists so much that I never get around to doing many of the items on the list.

I don't really like the name "To Do" for a list. If you put a hyphen to connect the words it becomes a "To-Do" list.  A "to-do is a commotion, fuss, or quarrel." 
Even though to do lists often cause commotions, fusses and quarrels it's not what they're supposed to do.

A "task list" is not any better.   
Here are some definitions for the word "task".
1. a specific piece of work required to be done as a duty or chore
2. an unpleasant or difficult job or duty
3. a difficult or tedious undertaking.


An agenda is even more useless and confusing.  Here are some definitions:
1. things to be done or a list of those things.
2. (functioning as singular) Also called agendum a schedule or list of items to be attended to.
3. (functioning as plural) Also called agendas agendums matters to be attended to.
[From the Latin, literally: things to be done, from agere to do  And so we're back to the to do list.

The word itinerary is not any better.  Here is one definition:
- a plan for actively doing something.

What about just calling it a list?
1. A series of names, words, or other items written, printed, or imagined one after the other.
2. A considerable number; a long series
Not very encouraging is it?

What works best for me is what I call the
"ACTION LIST"
-organized activity to accomplish an objective.
Now this is something I can live with. 
So again I've run out of time to actually do anything. 
But at least I had fun thinking about what to call my list.
I guess I didn't even have the time to find the items I wanted to put on my "Action List".



Comments

New Posts from Blogger Friends