Skip to main content

What Is the Best Moral System

8 Great Philosophical Questions That We'll Never Solve

Ideas and images from a post on the "i09" weblog 8 Great Philosophical Questions That We'll Never Solve

I found a post titled "8 Great Philosophical Questions That We'll Never Solve" It was from the i09 weblog. I decided to share my ideas about these questions. Let me know what you think.

"The Golden Rule is great (the idea that you should treat others as you would like them to treat you), but it disregards moral autonomy and leaves no room for the imposition of justice (such as jailing criminals),"

I'm not sure what would be the right thing to do in the illustration above. 

Maybe the best action would be to save a group of people while letting one person die.  

But what if the relatives are evil?

What if you could not live without your true love?  Would this be self-preservation?


Comments

  1. A person can live without anybody. Sadly and hopelessly, perhaps, but still live.
    I think I'd choose to hit the switch and hope the sudden turn made the coal car turn over before it reached my true love. Such course of action preserves the group of family, evil though they may be, and should it fail and the true love be wiped out . . . the true love remains forever beloved and perfect, unsullied by close experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Même si ces deux voix se séparent à un moment donné dans la vie elles finissent par se rejoindre...l'amour est là où on va le chercher...alors un peu d'optimisme c'est souvent ce qui nous manque...allez de l'avant !
    Although these two voices separate at some point in life when they eventually join ... love is where we will look for ... then a little optimism is often what we lack. .. go ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told my husband about this pictorial dilema and asked him what he thought was the right answer. I find this situation one where *should* (saving more lives) and *actual* (saving the one you care about) are at odds. His response was... "Perhaps there isn't a RIGHT answer." And I thought... of course, we each have to do what we think best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends