Pages

Cucumbers & Basil July 2017

I have more Basil than I can use right away so I'm going to freeze some.  This is one of my six plants.
Here's the procedure I'll try:
(From the web)


My cucumbers are growing faster than I can eat them. Here are three from the past two days.
I'll try to pickle some of them by using this recipe from Easy Summertime Sweet Pickles | McCormick


EASY SUMMERTIME SWEET PICKLES

These easy-to-prepare sweet pickles require no special jars or vacuum sealing since they are stored in the refrigerator. Perfect for when you have a bounty of cucumbers.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (1/4-inch thick)
1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon McCormick® Celery Seed
1 teaspoon McCormick® Mustard Seed
1 teaspoon non-iodized salt

PREPARATION
1. Place cucumber slices and onions in medium glass bowl. Set aside. Mix remaining ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
2. Pour hot liquid and spices over cucumbers and onions. Cool slightly. Cover.
3. Refrigerate pickles at least 2 hours before serving. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator up to 2 months.


I've heard about cucumber soup and cucumber sandwiches.

If you know a cucumber soup that's not with sour cream or yogurt, please let me know.  I'll also search the web.




What's the best way to make cucumber sandwiches?
I found these two:

1. The Traditional Cucumber Sandwich is composed of paper-thin slices of cucumber placed between two thin slices of crustless, lightly buttered white bread. Wikipedia




2. English Tea Cucumber Sandwiches
Place cucumber slices between 2 paper towels set in a colander. Allow liquid to drain, about 10 minutes.
Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion salt, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl until smooth. 
Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on one side of each bread slice. Divide cucumber slices over half of the bread slices; sprinkle lemon pepper on cucumber. Stack the other half of the bread slices with spread sides down over the cucumber slices to make sandwiches.

Any recipes you'd like to share?


7 comments:

  1. Hi John :) Your basil looks great! We had a wee bit of sunny weather the last few days and my second basil plant is thriving, so I'm very happy about that! I doubt I'll reach levels where I have to preserve them though, but if I do, I'll likely dehydrate them. Oh the cucumber sandwich! My boyfriend loves those, although we do put a wee bit of mayo on ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basil is my favorite herb. I use it a lot. I keep cucumber slices in the fridge for something to nibble in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a recipe for Curried Cucumber and Tomato Soup: Chop 1 medium seedless English cucumber (peeled) and 1 medium ripe tomato (peeled) into medium chunks. In a blender or food processor, combine cucumber and tomato with 1 tsp chopped onion, 1 small clove garlic (chopped), 1/4 tsp curry powder, a pinch each of nutmeg, salt and pepper, 1/2 c water, 1 tbsp cider or wine vinegar, and 2 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce, plus 2 tsp sugar or the equivalent in artificial sweetener. Puree until smooth. Pour into large bowl or pitcher and chill at least 1 hour. Makes 1 litre (4 cups, 4 servings. Each serving 16 calories. (From Kay Spicer's "Light and Easy Choices" which was published in cooperation with the Canadian Diabetes Association.)

    I love a plain cucumber and mayo sandwich! It says summer like no other sandwich to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of basil! Definitely one of my favourites. Lots of homemade goodies over at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I worked produce, I always likes smelling basil

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love basil and use it often. I keep a pant of it growing in my kitchen.

    Here's a Sweet and sour Cucumber Salad recipe.
    1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup salad oil, 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper,
    1/4 teaspoon oregano, 3 medium to large cucumbers thinly sliced.
    Combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 45 minutes to bland flavors.
    Makes about 12 servings, about 70 calories each.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments.
I'll visit your blog.

recent

Recent Posts Widget