Skip to main content

Responses to "Thank You"

In response to "Thank You" I grew up with "You're Welcome".  But now I hear "No Problem" most of the time.  It seems a little strange to me.  Was there a problem possible? Does the response mean that the person prevented the problem you almost caused?

"No worries" is a little like "no problem".  Was there something I should have been worried about?


A possibility from English Language & Usage:

"It was no problem for me to hold the door for you, because your ease of access is more important than me getting to my car faster."

Or Maybe

"The main difference is that you're welcome is meant to be polite while no problem is meant to be friendly."

I like this idea even though it's a bit hard to follow:

"Based on the other answers it seems not everyone has the following connotations with both terms, but I would argue that "No problem" implies that you did something out of the ordinary for someone, however that you did not consider it a problem. So in a sense you're disregarding the "thank you". In contrast "You're welcome" seems to imply that you appreciate their appreciation, as you in no way disregard their "Thank you".

Another idea from English Language & Usage:

Other languages can be just as confusing.
In Italian from the site: Italian 101

PLEASE:
Per favore is the most commonly used form of Please but there are other forms including 

per piacere

per cortesia,

THANK YOU:
Grazie or Thank You, comes from Grazia meaning gratitude or consideration.

Grazie Mille, literally means a thousand thank yous or thanks a lot.

Grazie Tante, means thank you very much.
Grazie di tutto, means thanks for everything.
Grazie di cuore, is the equivalent of thanks from the bottom of my heart or sincere thanks.
Grazie infinite, means infinite thanks!! 
YOU'RE WELCOME:
Prego (but for me this sounds like please)

Other alternatives also include Non c’è problema, (No Problem!)

Di niente, (It's nothing)

From the link: Prego - a useful word | ITALY Magazine


Words by Pat Eggleton
“Prego” often causes confusion because it is used a lot.
  1. It can be used to mean “You’re welcome” or “Don’t mention it” after someone has said “Thank you”.
    - Grazie.
    - Prego.
  2. A shopkeeper might use “Prego” as an equivalent of “How can I help you?” He or she is inviting the customer to say what they want.
    - Prego, signora?
  3. It can be used to mean “Come in”, usually with a hand gesture indicating the way into the house or room.
  4. Sometimes “prego” is used for “after you”. It is pronounced a bit like “Pray go” and that’s not a bad way of remembering this meaning!

Other languages have their own ways to say it.

Any ideas? "My pleasure" sounds best to me.



Comments

  1. In wales the normal response is croisio
    It means welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the simplest is the best. In answer to a simple thank you a simple you are welcome is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ged fed up with the expression "no worries". It makes me so mad to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still like You're Welcome and it is what I say. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a "you're welcome" gal...sometimes even a "You're VERY welcome!" gal! :) One of my friends had the stupid habit of saying "forget about it" whenever someone thanked him. I always thought it sounded so dumb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post my friend!
    I like "well come "and "my pleasure "
    Other sound uneasy to hear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post my friend!
    I like "well come "and "my pleasure "
    Other sound uneasy to hear

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends