Skip to main content

Chess Day

I always liked chess openings, looking for the perfect opening which would guarantee a win.  But there is no such opening. At best they only have small advantages, especially if your opponent is not familiar with the one you use.
I rarely play. When I do it's against my computer, maybe once every few months. I'm not sure why but I've lost interest in it.
I love the shapes of the pieces. 

Maybe if there was more luck involved, like in a card game or Bingo, I might enjoy it more.  It would be less serious.  Maybe there's a chess game variation that uses dice somehow to increase the luck involved.

"Invented in India in the fifth century, it was named “Chaturanga” and this is likely one of the oldest games of our era. the game then spread to Persia. When the Arabs conquered Persia, chess was taken up by the Muslim world and subsequently spread to Southern Europe. In Europe, chess evolved into roughly its current form in the 15th century. The game was developed extensively in Europe. By the late 15th century, it had survived a series of prohibitions and Christian Church sanctions to almost take the shape of the modern game."
International Chess Day | Days Of The Year

A short video on basic chess opening strategy.


Comments

  1. I like the aesthetics of chess pieces better than actually playing the game too. Give me canasta, whist or cribbage any day -- even Mexican Train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The evolution of games as we play them today is something I never stop to think about! It seems they should have started out the same way they ended up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to play but I'm terrible at it. I'm much too impulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's certainly a very strategic game. I haven't played in years. I don't really have the patience for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love the look of a chess board and its pieces but have never played.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends