Pages

Miniature Indoor Apple Tree Project #1


I'm starting a new project that isn't really a bonsai tree but just a small tree in a pot.  It doesn't require special knowledge and skill.  It also grows a lot faster.
I got the idea from the "Blog Click" site.


The link on the blog: Maçã como plantar, How to plant apple.  It's a good Brazilian site in Portuguese and English.

I started with two large Gala apples.  The first one only had two seeds!  I thought there would more.  







I had better luck with the second apple.
I always have a problem with planting seeds and thinning the seedlings.  Which seeds do I plant and which sprouts do I let live when I thin out the pot? Even though it can't be helped, it still feels a little sad, like I'm killing some of them.

I didn't use the two seeds from one apple because it seems to me there must be something wrong with producing only 2 seeds.

I read somewhere that if a seed floats in water instead of sinking; it may be empty.  I don't know how true this is but I tried it anyway.  I came up with 3 seeds.

Here's the video.
video

I'll show my progress in the next post.

6 comments:

  1. This will be a fun project for us to watch. I cannot wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to grow an apple tree, but I never got very far when I tried many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you! My in-laws have an apple tree in the back garden in England.
    You know I have to sing "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me" when I am there! Everything reminds me of a song...EVERYTHING! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our old house we had at least 4 apples trees, then a bunch of berry trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! This will be the first tree of your soon-to-be apple farm, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with this project. I might try this if it turns out good for you. I'm usually really hard on plants and either can't get them to grow or can't keep them alive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.