Skip to main content

Genealogy: First Class Was Great!


Last night was the first class and the instructor asked the nine members of the class about their ancestors.  As I expected, most had English backgrounds from relatives who settled in the USA.

One man had a relative from the "Buffalo" soldiers, a nickname given to the African American regiment which fought against the Native American "Indians".  Supposedly the Native Americans called the black cavalry troops "buffalo soldiers" because of their dark curly hair, which resembled a buffalo's coat.

I was the only one with roots in Italy, being the first generation born in this country.  This may make my search a bit more difficult yet in a way more interesting.

For now I'll have to look over my notes and start the search.

Comments

  1. Your father's story sounds like a fascinating one. It has the potential to offer many twists and turns in the stories of the ancestors you may find on each branch of your tree. I encourage you to make as much effort on your other ancestors who did not have your surname. Often our male ancestors married great women from fascinating families. And they are just as much your ancestors as are the men who passed on your family surname. Best wishes in your search for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement Peter. I'll take your advice and see what I can discover.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends