Skip to main content

I Hate Clutter!


Ever since I've been renovating my basement the house has turned into a pile of clutter.  There are boxes and papers everywhere.  Everything is very clean but just out of place.

I want to discard as many things as I can without throwing out some valuable or sentimental items.

Clutter keeps building up as if some force or intelligence is battling against me. 

One problem is reading books about how to make my life simpler and uncluttered, instead of taking action.  This wastes a lot of time and energy.

Is there some intelligence causing the clutter?  It would be nice to put the blame on someone else.  
Maybe my wife is messing things up just to be mean. But that would not make any sense.
I could blame it on goblins.
But I don't believe in goblins.  Sometimes it just seems as if someone is
messing things up.

I believe the real cause is entropy.

Here is a video that explains it best.




This is a bit too theoretical and not practical for what I need.

So I'll just have to set aside small blocks of time and energy to work on small areas of clutter. Maybe a half  hour or so a day.

Wish me luck.

If you have any ideas that you think might help, please let me know.



Comments

  1. I have organized clutter in my house, John. I am a non-stop collector, so I cannot or at least I have a hard time getting rid of things that I love. I am also a sentimentalist so I won't even go there. I have explained to my children that everything has a place and everything is in its place...at least most of the time. But I feel as long as my home is clean and organized I will keep my clutter...I mean my treasures around me until the end :) I do part with things that take-up space for another collection...

    Neat post!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when there is clutter in my house as well. I am always tidying things up daily. Each week I try to throw out small things that I don't need. That way if any painting or anything needs to be done here, it wont' make as big of a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to keep things tidy. It's just that with the basement renovations I'm overwhelmed. But as soon as I catch up I'll try to stop clutter from taking over.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a goal I'd like to reach someday. At least I hope I can make some progress.

      Delete
  4. One way to avoid matters getting worse, is not to buy anything that you don't really need right now otherwise it will end up in the basement with more stuff.

    I would spend a whole day putting everything in 3 piles. One pile of things that you don't want anymore that you can give away to family, friends or charity. Another pile of things that you want to keep. And a pile of things that you'll need to thoroughly go through to check if you need it or not, like paperwork, documents etc. Hope it helps a bit.

    I don't like any clutter at all, it drives me crazy when things are out of place. All the best in sorting it John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a good plan. It will take me more than a day to sort things out. I don't have the patience to work on it for more than an hour or so.
      I'll try one area at a time. Hopefully this will give me some motivation once I see some progress.

      Delete
  5. Hallo John,
    Happy new Year to you and your family again !
    I see you are busy !!! well done ... that's always good !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Massimo,
    Thank you. I have a favor to ask of you. Do you know how I can buy a Tombola game?
    I'd like to have one and someone I know would like one. I tried Amazon.com but I couldn't find it. They seem to only have bingo type games. Here is the link to my post about the game:
    http://johns-spot112948.blogspot.com/2013/11/tombala-italian-bingo.html
    Your friend,
    John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends