Skip to main content

A Toad in Our Flower Pot

Lynette noticed a toad in one of our flower pots at night.  During the day it was gone but came back again at night.
I thought it must go somewhere during the day, maybe to look for food, then return to the flower pot at night.

But I was wrong.  The toad dug a hole in the dirt and buried himself during the day and came out at night.

The toad must eat the insects that come near the pot and take in water from the moist soil.  Digging into the dirt protects him from the heat of the day and with its camouflaged skin he's impossible to see.
One night I watched him wipe the dirt off his back with his feet, first one foot then the other.

It's like having a pet just outside the back door.  I hope he stays for a while.

   


Comments

  1. This is so neat, John ... I hope he stays around for you, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...so cute! I'd love to have such a visitor in my garden. I hope he sticks around for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just showed that first shot to my hubby. Great, great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a good sized one, isn't he? Maybe he will keep the mosquitoes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he'll also stop the bugs from eating the flower leaves.

      Delete
  5. Wow, John, this is fantastic! I love these amphibians and enjoyed seeing this toad. He is definitely well camouflaged!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, John, this is fantastic! I love these amphibians and enjoyed seeing this toad. He is definitely well camouflaged!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends