Skip to main content

Appointment with a Gastroenterologist


Sorry I haven't posted much this week.  I'm having some issues with my Barrett's Esophagus. Here's some information if you're interested.


It's a complication of GERD, which stands for gastroesophageal reflux disease; A digestive disease in which stomach acid or bile irritates the food pipe lining. My pain is lower than in the chest.

In Barrett's esophagus, normal tissue lining the esophagus -- the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach -- changes to tissue that resembles the lining of the intestine. There is a small risk of dysplasia ( pre-cancerous).

Here's my condition.

I have it checked every few years as the doctor recommends but lately I'm having trouble with gas and a small amount of pain.  I've tried altering my diet with only minor improvement.

This Friday I'm seeing a different doctor for another opinion. Hopefully I'll only need an increase or change of medication, not something like cauterization.

I'll still make comments on your blogs. Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. My prayers are for you to feel better with no complications, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Hopefully a change in medication will do the trick! I'm on medication too that reduces stomach acid in order to minimize acid reflux. I'm not thrilled about it but it beats the alternative, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does. I'm glad it worked out for you.

      Delete
  3. Of course I wish you luck. My second granddaughter suffers from a similar problem and has since she was very small. Medication and elimination of dairy products has helped her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy your granddaughter is better. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. John, interesting pics. I had a CT scan with an angiogram recently to check for abdominal aneurism as the doctors heard a heartbeat in my abdomen. My result was negative for aneurism, but they did detect a small hiatal hernia. I don't get reflux, so as far as I know, don't have to do anything about it. I have never heard of Barrett's esophagus,but I do think a 2nd opinion never hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian. That's good news about your not having an aneurism. Reflux is almost as bad as vomiting. You can taste your last meal coming up for a second, sometimes up to your nose!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to read about this John, sending my good wishes.
    I hope your appointment on Friday goes well, sometimes it is a good idea to get a second opinion.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard had hiatus hernia surgery. It is supposed to help with the acid reflux. The doctor said it works for about 99 out of 100 people. We are thinking that Richard is 1 out of a hundred!
    Good luck to you! I am remembering that you mentioned a hospital once and I saw it on an ad at a Mets Game. "That is where John is going", I said at the time. My husband must think I know the whole world! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about this and I wish you good luck! I hope your appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My good wishes are with you!! Hopefully, you will get recovered soon. Two years ago I was also dealing with such a situation and Gastroenterologist at Bryan hospital helped me to get recovered completely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends