Skip to main content

The Legend of Lilith

Lilith

I find this legend very interesting and believe it would make a great horror movie.  I'm not very religious so it's mostly just the unexpected idea of a woman created before Eve.

The sculpture above is from Notre Dame in Paris.  I wonder if Lilith was the snake who came back to tempt Eve.

The video below has a good description of the legend.


I also read that the legend of Lilith sets an example for modern liberated women; except for the part about being evil.


Comments

  1. The ancient Talmudic myth of Lilith was meant to be a cautionary tale to keep women "in their place" by demonizing any concept of equality between men and women. That's why she is portrayed as evil and why she is so harshly punished for her rebelliousness against the male dominance of Adam and God. But in the past 30 years, the modern, feminist-based "women's spirituality" movement has "reclaimed" Lilith and now celebrates her as a heroic figure fighting patriarchal tyranny. She is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilith is a great example for standing up to a god who could in no way be the true God. I wish I had a stronger spiritual belief but I'm sure the true God would have no need for sex organs!

      Delete
  2. The legend of Lilith is indeed fascinating. The video you provided gives a tantalizing introduction to her but there is much more and many different opinions. Some believe Cain was actually the son of Lilith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first I hear of her! So fascinating. I love Debra's explanation. This would indeed make for a great movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Martha - this is the first I've heard of her!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only been a few years ago when I first hear of her. She could be the snake who tempted Eve.

      Delete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends