Skip to main content

My Refrigerator Water Drip Tray Mess

Corroded
It fits right under the ice cube/water dispenser. It's where you place your glass to fill it with ice cubs or water.

I soaked it in vinegar overnight.

It's clean but the finish is partly gone. It still looks bad.


I phoned GE for a replacement and the price for a new tray is $60.02! 😧  What?
They offered me a special deal price of $49.41.❌

I'm not sure what to do next. At Loews they had nothing to replace it.  I'm thinking of going to Hobby Lobby to see if they have any ideas.  Maybe they haves some sort of silver waterproof paint that will stick to plastic.

After spending all that money on the refrigerator you'd think they'd use metal, not plastic.

Have any of you had a similar problem? Do you have any ideas?


Comments

  1. Try baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide. Sometimes that will work. The tray does look used though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. You'd think they'd make a better product for all the expense on that fridge. I hope you find a solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They wanted $60, then quickly went to $49. It seems like a money making plan. I was ready to pay no more than $20.

      Delete
  3. I googled "paint that will stick to plastic" and got this:
    https://www.krylon.ca/how-to/how-to-videos/how-to-spray-paint-plastic-video/

    It would be worth a try, I think. The other option would be to try to gently scrape the paint from just the indentations, where it is already mostly gone, and leave the higher ridges with paint on them. It's hard to tell from the pictures if this would look okay or not. It seems to me that the plastic would be easier to clean than the painted surface, unless it was cleaned often to avoid buildup.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. our freezer fixer advised us to place a tray so ice can freeze over the plate instead of freezer 's bottom

    but unfortunately we could not find one in here around

    i think Jenny got right solution dear John!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a bit of long shot - search for 3D printing services and try to find one to make a new one. I know a 3D printer would be able to make the shape but not sure about the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have always had plastic trays which always got darn disgusting and needed cleaning. Your problem? No idea what can be done. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope you find a solution.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends