Skip to main content

Tempest Prognosticator ( I call it the Leech Weather Gadget)


My daughter bought me a Storm Glass last Christmas and while I was browsing the internet I came across a very strange weather predictor from the same time period called the Tempest Prognosticator. Both are from about the 1860's.

First let me show you the Storm Glass (Fitzroy Storm Glass) my daughter gave me.



It's more decorative than practical but it looks great on my desktop.  Mine always stays in the same formation as the Warming image above.

I have a theory that it may not work very well because the liquid is in a sealed glass vessel.  It can react to the temperature of the room; maybe even some sort of magnetic or static force if that is possible. But it can't react to atmospheric pressure like a barometer. Now I've seen some old photos of storm glasses sealed on top with a cork instead of being completely sealed in glass. The cork is soft and should allow some changes in atmospheric pressure to affect the pressure inside the vessel.


Here's a photo of what must be a more recent homemade version with a cork stopper. 

Someday I want to maybe make a storm glass with a cork stopper to see what would happen.

Here's the recipe:



Now here's how the Tempest Prognosticator works:

At this time I'm not able to download the video but here's the link:


I also wanted to insert more photos but it's not working; hope they fix it soon.




Comments

  1. I just watch the weather forecast on the local TV news. Not as decorative, but more effective, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what will we do with all those leeches?

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I want the one at the museum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a great conversation piece.

      Delete
  3. This is quite interesting. OUr problem is that we have only 2 seasons, spring and summer. Sometimes there might be a little fall.

    This is totally cool. My gr-daughters and I will get together on this, when we can actually touch each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting piece! Definitely makes for a nice decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something like having a grandfather clock.

      Delete
  5. How interesting, must say I've never heard of one - oh goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I've heard of it myself.

      Delete
  6. These things always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do have a grandfather Clock, but I've not heard of this …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends