Skip to main content

Kingdom of Italy Before Mussolini Took Over

Old image I found on the web

An old postcard I found with my family papers. The man looks like he could be a relative.  If you compare the helmet you can see he was in the cavalry. The back of the postcard has my father's handwriting and I can just make out the word Piedmont in Italian.  The Piedmont region is not too far from France or Switzerland.

Royal Flag

So, I must have some sort of family connection. My father never spoke about it. It would be lost to me if I did not find the postcard.







La Marcia Reale d'Ordinanza was the national anthem of the Kingdom of Italy from the unification of the country (1861) until September 8, 1943, and again from the liberation of Rome (1944) to the fall of the Savoy monarchy (1946). It was composed as a parade march in 1831 or 1834 by the Turin-born Giuseppe Gabetti.




Another view of the royal families:






Comments

  1. It's always interesting to learn something new. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a mystery! From your previous post on this image, the date on the back is Feb 1931. How old would your father have been then? Was he in Italy too? Could this cavalry soldier be a brother, cousin, friend? It's odd your father didn't write the soldier's name on the back too, unless he figured he didn't have to because "everyone would know who it is" which again suggests a close relative or friend. Is there anyone left from your father's generation who might have a clue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father was born 1911 in Italy. That would make him 20 years old in 1931. Could it be a photo of himself? That could explain why there was no name mentioned of the soldier!
      I have an aunt in Florida. I think she is my aunt. We only exchange Christmas cards, no other contact. I'm sending her a copy of the card, front and back.
      Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
    2. Let us know if your aunt knows who it is! The soldier is so very young -- a real baby face. Yes, perhaps it's your father himself at 20 years old!

      Delete
  3. How amazing is that photo which has opened a door for you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family history can be quite fascinating. I wish I had asked my parents more questions while they were alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family history can so often be fascinating.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes family history can be very intriguing but we are late to realize this mostly.

    Glad you were able to connect with past of your father which sounds really interesting.
    Hope you and your wife are doing well

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends