Skip to main content

CHAPTER NINE

 

 

CHAPTER NINE

 

 

Once outside the rectory, Tom’s cell phone rang.

"Hi Angela."

"How did it go with Father Alphonsus?"

"Okay, I guess.  I couldn't find the book.  I was sure I had it in my shoulder bag, but it wasn't there.  It's very strange."

"I can't wait for you to tell me all about it.  Are we still going to meet at McQuade's?"  Angela asked.

"Sure, I’ll catch a cab.  Give me about half an hour.”

A cab came around the corner by the church and pulled up to the curb.  The driver was an enormous man with a large round face and short crew cut hair.  He was too bulky for the cab almost taking up the entire front two seats.

"Need a ride?"  He shouted, peering at Tom over a pair of tiny wire framed glasses.  It was more a statement of fact than a question.

Tom was just able to enter the cab and close the door before it sped away.

“Hey, I didn’t tell you where I want to go.”

The driver slammed on the brakes causing Tom to bang his head against the thick clear plastic partition separating the driver from the passengers.  He twisted around in his seat leaning back until his head protruded through a small window in the plastic divider.  Only inches from Tom's face, the driver’s breath reeked of garlic, onion, tobacco and, beer.  Tom sat back to escape the stench.  The driver stared over his glasses, which sat down low on his nose.  They were more of a decoration than a practical visual aid.

“Well then where would you like me to take you?”  He asked with an angry knowing smirk before sitting back down in his seat.

Tom heard the man mutter under his breath.

“I know where I’d like to take you, to hell with me.”

“Take me to McQuade’s Tavern.”

In case there was any trouble, Tom took note of the driver's name on the license underneath his photo, “Levi Osami”.

 

"McQuade’s Tavern,” the driver shouted as he slammed on the brakes.  This time Tom put his arm up in time to prevent banging his head.  He jumped out of his seat on the driver’s side.

“How much do I owe?”

“What?”

“How much do I owe?”

“You owe much more than you can pay for with money dickhead.”

With that, he sped away before Tom could pay him.

“Now who’s the dickhead?” Tom shouted back.

The shadows by the tavern shifted from the passing car headlights.  He believed he saw a detail in the shadows that did not make sense.  One long shadow did not move with the others.  It remained in a fixed location.  Then when he moved closer to get a better view the shadow appeared to run behind the building and then it disappeared.

A customer left the tavern a moment afterwards sending a dim stream of light across the parking lot.  This would explain why the long shadow disappeared except that it disappeared before the door was opened.  Tom assumed the discrepancy was only due to his mind confusing the entire situation.

When he reached the glass door of the tavern, he saw his reflection in the glass along with the reflection of a man right behind him.  Tom entered then held the door open for the man.  There was no one there.  Again, he wondered if these visions were all due to being tired or if there was more to it.

Once inside it took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the darkness of the tavern.  Angela was sitting at the far end of the tavern in the same well-hidden booth where they sat the night before.  When she saw him, she got up to give him a tight hug and a soft kiss.

“How did things go?”  She took his hand and led him to the seat next to her on the same side of the booth.

"Did you like Father Alphonsus?"

Tom was about to speak but stopped when he saw Levi the cab driver come into the bar.  Tom imagined him to be a gigantic beach ball with a huge round head balanced on top.  He wondered if the cabby was looking for him to pay for the ride.  Levi sat at the bar.

“Hey asshole can I get a beer or what?”

“No need to get rude,” the bartender replied.

“Get me a beer, whatever’s on tap.”

“We have several…”

“What are you stupid or something?  Pick anything.  Bring it to me right now.”

Even though Levi obviously did not exercise to keep fit, carrying all that weight gave him tremendous strength.  In a fight, the bartender would be no match for him.

Tom walked towards the bar intending to pay the cabby what he owed.

“Going somewhere?”  Angela asked.

It reminded him of what she said when they first met at the Café de France.

“I have to pay for my cab ride.  The man didn’t wait for me to give him the money.”

Tom turned around to look at the bar.  Levi was gone.  He must have left the tavern or sat somewhere else.  In any case, Tom was relieved that for now he did not have to confront the man.

"Tom, did you have a chance to speak with Father Alphonsus?” Angela asked, wondering why Tom seemed disoriented.

“Yeah, but like I told you, I didn’t have the book with me.  I’m sure I put it in my bag but when I looked for it, it was gone.  Maybe it’s somewhere in my apartment.  Anyway, I’ll meet with him tomorrow at one.”

“I can come with you if you like.”

“I don’t want you to go to so much trouble.  I’ll take a cab.”

“Don’t you have a car?”

“I don’t really need a car.  It saves me a lot of money.”

“I’ll pick you up and take you to the church if you like.  I can come in with you or I can wait in the car until you’re done,” Angela offered.

“Well, I could use the ride and moral support.  You wouldn’t mind waiting in the car?”

“Not at all, I’ll do some reading.  Besides I’m eager to see that mysterious book of yours and find out what Father Alphonsus thinks about it.”

“I’m not so sure I want you to see the book.  Not until Father Alphonsus has a look at it.”

“Why not?”

“I’m not sure.  I mean it would make me feel better if Father Alphonsus saw it first.”

“I understand.  You can show me the book only when you’re ready.”

Angela leaned against his side.  He reached over putting his arm around her waist.

“It’s getting late.  Why don’t I drop you off at your apartment?”  She asked.

“Your apartment is close.  Why did you drive?”

“I’m still a little scared from the other night.”

When they left the bar, Tom looked for the cab driver again.  There was a cab parked outside.

“You don’t need to look for a cab.  Remember I have my car,” Angela said watching Tom stare at the cab.

“I know but it’s the same cab that I took to get here.  The driver is a weirdo.  I don’t understand why he didn’t even wait for me to pay for the ride.  Anyway, I appreciate you taking me home.”

Angela’s car was at the far end of the parking lot.  Tom was glad he was there to keep her safe.  He was finally with someone who seemed to care for him the way he cared for her.

Comments

Post a Comment

New Posts from Blogger Friends